When Gillette, originally founded in 1901 as a safety razor manufacturer, was purchased by Proctor & Gamble (P&G), the merger created the world’s largest personal care and household product company. An integral part of this merger became the integration of the two corporate cultures. P&G decided to rebrand Gillette’s original South Boston headquarters and move hundreds of employees from other locations in the city to the newly renovated state-of-the-art manufacturing research complex. The renovation and construction of 500,000 square feet at the South Boston facility included the demolition of two of Gillette’s existing entrances to create one main entrance that serves as the new face of the corporate headquarters. Work also included the construction of many employee amenities such as a fitness center, state-of-the-art video conferencing rooms, barber shop, new dining facility, and the integration of P&G throughout the facility. A portion of the construction involved working over an active MBTA line, which required work with multiple permitting agencies in developing a technical mitigation plan to ensure continuity of service and safety in the work area.
Photo Credits: Krystal Layton
Cubellis Associates, Inc.
OWNER'S PROJECT MANAGER
AECOM Hunt (Hunt Construction Group)